A second opinion

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

The day before my second opinion was difficult. You're hopeful for best case scenario but preparing yourself for the worst. In fact my minnd was racing all day, and that evening wasn't much better. An 8 am appointment meant I was up at 6, and out of the door by 6:50.

My follow up appointment was slightly uneventful, but still very emotional. Giving your story, your account of everything you're able to put pieces together and a pattern became very evident, even though it wasn't at the time. My case was quickly reviewed and a diagnosis was made with a plan of action. I was going to undergo chemotherapy treatment. After a series of questions about side effects and the likelihood of symptoms I would experience, we decided that time was important and treatments would start by weeks end.

The first doctor I happened to see thought that having a port installed would be beneficial for the treatments. However the second opinion doctor didn't feel the urgency to have a port installed but with my history of having blood drawn I decided that there was no other option. I needed a port if I wanted to make this experience as good as possible.

So just like that, appointments were made and my chemotherapy journey begins. I ultimately decided to go with my second opinion doctor. With a rare form of cancer, I felt that I needed to see a team who is familiar with my particular type and has seen it often enough. I'm scared, and I'm hoping I'm making the right choice by using a nationally and regionally ranked hospital.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!