One Small, Scary Word.

Monday, January 23, 2017

It's funny to think how one can go from only knowing the name of a disease to knowing everything about that disease (or a virus or an illness) in only a few hours. Learning symptoms, triggers, statistics. It's kind of interesting to think how quickly one can immerse themselves when the information pertains to them, or someone they care about.

For me that disease was Hodgkin's Lymphoma. I was given a diagnosis of Hodgkin's Lymphoma on Friday, January 20. A diagnosis like this leaves you feeling small and vulnerable and having so many questions but very little answers. That's where the google searching begins...

I've learned about a virus that nearly all adults have, Epstein Barr Virus or EBV, a virus that 95% of the American population has, but never has a single symptom. Those that it does effect have a slew of symptoms. There is a strong correlation between EBV and Hodgkin's Lymphoma. I've learned that Hodgkin's Lymphoma is rare. It's slightly hereditary, but because it's so rare (approximately 8,500 Americans will be diagnosed with it this year) it only increases the risk slightly for my children.

What I'm learning about a cancer diagnosis is how quickly things move. In the last week I was able to meet with a wonderful oncologist, and have a slew of testing completed (pet/ct scan, echo-cardiogram and lung test) to verify where the cancer extends to and to ensure my body is healthy enough for chemotherapy. The irony in that statement...What I can say is, I'm eager to begin a regimen, the sooner I begin, the sooner I hope to be cured.

I've had many feelings about my diagnosis over the last few days. The most common thought I've had is how fortunate I feel to have a cancer that is treatable. A curable cancer, one that if you were given a choice of cancers is likely the one you'd pick because it's considered to be so treatable. I've had every imaginable emotion wash over me, but I think the hardest one to swallow is how I truly cannot do this alone. I'm constantly reminded of what a wonderful spouse I have and how amazing my children are. They have taken this diagnosis in great stride and I'm proud of the understanding and maturity that they have shown.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!